Post it Note | Organizing Tips
The uses for a post it note are truly endless, however, when it comes to back to school I have some insider organizing tips for students.
Parent to Student Post it Note
Leaving notes on the bathroom mirror for the morning, on a sandwich baggie for lunchtime or the entry door for after school are all great ways to show thoughtfulness. Even a simple “Love You!” can be enough to brighten a child’s day.
Teacher to Student Post it Note
While most teachers opt for the red pen on an assignment a post it note can accommodate a multitude of other uses.
- Placing notes on a student’s desk before the day starts letting them know they’ll need to stay in for lunch
- Inviting a student to an early recess as a reward for hard work
- Asking a student’s neighbor to keep a running list of assignments, posted on their desk while out sick
Student to Self Post it Note
In the middle school program I’ve observed an interesting habit. Some kiddos don’t notice a highlighted section in their planner. The strategy from teachers is to highlight the homework for the day before heading home. However, once home the student doesn’t connect with the action as a “tool” for staying organized.
I could give you a handful of reasons why but instead I thought I’d give you a handful of solutions
- When the teacher advises to “highlight” an assignment in the planner, do so ~ then write the assignment on a post it note that stays on that page of the planner throughout the day
- At homework time begin by looking at the post it note first, using it as a road map for your tasks to be completed that evening
- Mark off each assignment upon completion until all are done
- Place a fresh post it note on the page for the next day
For students who have a hard time getting homework done, it might be as simple as the post it note offers a 3-D element to the list. Give it a try and let me know how it works.
Regardless of who is using the post it note the most important element is how it is being used. I’d love to chat below in the comments or over on The Mental Clutter Facebook Page
How are you using a post it note this back to school season?